Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The New Normal

I'm just starting to get a taste of what this new schedule is going to be like and I *think* I like it...yesterday was too busy to even realize anything was different but I have to say, it was a strange feeling picking the kids up from school and not really knowing what they'd been up to all morning. I'm not sure I like that feeling, and I'm not sure I'm done with the idea of homeschooling, but I'm willing to wait and see how things go this year. Today (H) was upset he didn't get to go to school, so I guess that's a good sign that he likes it. He whined a bit yesterday when I dropped him off, not full-out crying though and actually as we pulled in the driveway of the school yesterday he said "I'm not gonna cry Mommy". So sweet. His teacher is a wonderful, gentle person and she has a Montessori-style approach and demeanor. She's really the only reason I even considered sending (H) this year. I was so impressed with her and her classroom that I knew he'd benefit from going a couple days a week and getting that foundation like *A* did at Counterpane. *A*'s classroom I'm not so sure about yet. The whole school is a Montessori/Reggio-based program, but they have a new teacher and they moved the room around from the way it was when we visited in the Spring so I'm waiting to learn a bit more about how they do things. I know they try to prepare them for how Kindergarten will be a bit more, but I want to make sure they are true to their word about following the child. I was encouraged yesterday when I came back in to drop off their school supplies and she was already at a table doing sorting work.

Normally our Tuesdays and Thursdays will be spent going to PMO but since that hasn't started up yet, we have a few weeks of (H) and Mommy time. He wasn't too happy about this when we dropped *A* and Daddy off, but after the *special* trip to McDonald's this morning, I think he decided it was ok. We're headed to the grocery store the morning and then to lunch at the seminary after we pick up *A*.

No comments: