Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Advent...


I'm really into celebrating the season of Advent this year. Being raised Catholic, Advent was something I knew about, but we never really talked about it or did anything special. But this year, I'm starting to understand and embrace this season of anticipation and fun Christmasy-but-not-quite events.
We have started decorating our house a little bit at a time. I started yesterday with a variety of evergreen branches tucked behind pictures and over doorways. It looks really festive and homey. My plan is to decorate a little bit each night approaching Christmas.
At church Sunday, we made an Advent wreath and we light it each night at dinner and say a short Advent-related prayer. We also have an Advent calendar, 2 actually. One has a nativity scene and you place stickers on it each day with the last day being a sticker of Mary, Joseph and Jesus. I wish it had just Jesus as the last one, but oh well. We also have one that you open each day and get a piece of chocolate. The kids are taking turns each night putting the sticker on or getting the chocolate. I really want to make my own Advent calendar, but that's something to think about for next year. We have friends who are doing so many fun Advent events and I'm looking forward to when the kiddos are a little older and can try and grasp the concept a bit more. We're still planning lots of fun stuff though. I'll post things throughout the month. What are you doing to decorate/prepare/celebrate?

No comments: